Collectors differ over what to call these Coke toppers. The Sports Collectors Digest annual price guide calls them bottle caps, which I favor despite its ho-hum descriptiveness. Others call them crowns to separate them conversationally from baseball uniform caps and match the worldwide cap collectors market. (See BottleCrowns.net for an extensive non-sports collection.)
Coke used Darrell "Bucky" Brandon as #5 for their 1967-68 sets. This checklist turned over nearly half of Boston's 18 players between the two years (1967 / 1968 below).
- Lee Stange
- Carl Yastrzemski / Gary Waslewski
- Don Demeter / Gary Bell
- Jose Santiago / John Wyatt
- Darrell Brandon
- Joe Foy
- Don McMahon / Ray Culp
- Dalton Jones
- Mike Ryan / Gene Oliver
- Bob Tillman / Jose Santiago
- Rico Petrocelli
- George Scott
- George Smith / Mike Andrews
- Dennis Bennett / Dick Ellsworth
- Hank Fischer / Norm Siebern
- Jim Longborg
- Jose Tartabull / Jerry Adair
- George Thomas / Elston Howard
If you've seen Jose Santiago caps with different numbers (4 vs. 10), now you know why!
Value: Nipped this scan from an eBay auction, where Mr. Brandon sits at the asking price of $3.
Fakes / reprints: I doubt it's economical to fake a Coke cap.